Emissions Reductions from PET Recycling, Romania
The Project “Greentech’s Emissions Reductions from PET Recycling, Romania", developed by Greentech – a member company of Green Group, is the first project in Europe to apply PET waste frameworks through PET waste recycling, proactively reducing greenhouse gases emissions that would be otherwise required for the production of plastic products made of virgin inputs and accelerating progress towards many of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
GreenTech is one of the largest PET plastics recyclers in Europe and an important producer of recycled flakes, recycled PET strap and recycled PET granules. The certified CO2 emissions reductions project also includes PET recycling and production of sustainable products at GreenFiber, which produces PET fiber, as output.
GreenFiber is the only manufacturer of synthetic fiber in Romania and the largest European producer of polyester synthetic fiber made of 100% recycled PET flakes. GreenFiber offers high-quality polyesteric staple fiber using the latest technology, its products being used by top players in the automotive industry, hygiene, etc.
Green Group is the only integrated recycling park in Romania and is the biggest in South-Eastern Europe. It is the first of its kind in Romania.
The total GHG emission reductions for the 10 years crediting period (2016-2025) are estimated at 453,800 t CO2. The estimated annual average GHG emissions reduction is 45,380 t CO2/year.
As in natural ecosystems, we give waste new life through recycling, creating value for nature and the economy, and most importantly, for society.
Project impacts and benefits:
This project is in line with specific UN requirements because it contributes to local environmental sustainability, since recycling instead of using material from virgin inputs decreases the overall energy use, CO2 emissions and environmental burden caused by natural resources extraction. At the same time, PET waste recycling reduces the amount of waste to be disposed in the landfill.
What makes the project special?
Apart from the economic benefits of reducing pollution in terms of CO2 emissions and plastic waste, the Project has other important economic and social benefits:
- The Project has a well-proven, fair and reliable production process and a state-of-art technology. The high performant innovative quality output products out from waste are recycled PET flakes, PET strap, polyester staple fiber made of 100% recycled PET flakes
- Job creation and improved working conditions where the project is located (Buzau, Iasi, Urziceni, Frasinu/Romania ): GreenTech and GreenFiber have 1142 employees, being the biggest employer in Buzau city, offering employment to many people coming from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Gender equality approach, women being promoted in management position, including top management
- Development of local technological capacity. The manpower and the technical maintenance are provided domestically in the country
- Contributes to the local and social community development: Green Group promotes training classes on environment and recycling in the schools in the region and shares its expertise with the local municipality of Buzau and other local municipalities to create circular cities (Circular Economy partnerships)
- It contributes to a large extent to the local municipalities’ funds for social insurance, such as health and pension funds, and to local and social community development.