Qori Q’oncha Improved Cookstoves in Peru
The MICROSOL initiative, “Qori Q’oncha – Improved Cookstoves Diffusion Programme in Peru”, is coordinating various actions for distributing lifesaving cookstoves in Peru. The improved cookstoves (ICS) replace three stone or a terracotta stove and are constructed with local material by local people. Each new stove sold emits less greenhouse gas (GHGs) emissions compared to the original stove, helping to bring down global emissions. The project helps vulnerable families in rural regions gain access to energy and cooking solutions that are better for their health, cheaper to run and require less firewood.
More than 140,000 improved cookstoves have been installed and are benefiting approximately 600,000 people living in poverty. Qori Q'oncha was the first ever Gold Standard PoA for Cookstoves to become Gold Standard certified and issue credits. It was also acknowledged with a PCIA special achievement award for meeting social and behaviour needs and was recognised by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as the best solution in Peru for access to carbon finance in the framework of a regional initiative in Latin America.
Project impacts and benefits:
The improved cookstoves distributed in the framework of the Qori Q’oncha programme are equipped with a chimney to ensure smoke is vented outside of the house. These stoves are more efficient and therefore reduce CO2 emissions and deforestation.
Improved cookstoves are also great tools for women empowerment, allowing them to cook more quickly, but also to reduce the chore of wood and freeing up time for the education of children.
Here are some results of the programme:
- Enabled 141,407 families to gain access to these technologies.
- Reduced carbon emissions by nearly two million tonnes of CO2
- Reduced an average of 1.9 tonnes in wood consumption, which corresponds to reducing wood consumption by 39% (in Peru).
- Saved up to $39 a month in fuel expenditure, or six hours time for wood collection.
- A drastic reduction in smoke exposure in 100% of families thanks to the installation of a chimney.
- A satisfactory rate of 99% for these technologies.
For more information about this project, please contact Microsol>>