KronoClimate biomass project in Russia
Swiss Climate AG | KronoClimate biomass project in Russia
Prior to the project, the substantial energy needs of the Russian wood processing factory, KronoStar, were met with fossil fuels, especially heavy oil and peat. Wood, on the other hand, was only used as a production material. In the past, the wood waste generated by the factory was disposed of in a nearby landfill, producing methane gas – a much stronger greenhouse than CO2.
In 2001, KronoStar initiated the KronoClimate project to reduce the use of fossil fuels by generating energy from biomass. The wood waste that was dumped in landfills prior to the project is now used to create energy in a central generator. Today, 385,000 tonnes of waste wood from the factory and 190,000 tonnes of biomass from other sources are processed annually.
The project combines renewable energy generation with a holistic waste disposal concept and FSC-certified sustainable forest management – ensuring a sustainable production chain.
The KronoClimate project is the only project in Russia certified by Gold Standard. KronoStar also ranks on the list of the ‘100 Best Companies in Russia’.”
Project impacts and benefits:
Social and economic benefits
- The transfer of new technologies and expertise has created many specialised jobs, which benefits the whole region.
- The value chain is of great importance to the entire area.
- KronoStar complies with the guidelines of holistic quality management according to the ISO 9001 standard.
- Occupational health and safety is ensured by fulfilling the criteria of the OHSAS18001 standard.
- By no longer disposing of biomass in uncontrolled landfills, high methane emissions are avoided. This additional climate protection is not taken into account in the certificates, as it is difficult to calculate.
- The use of biomass from sources outside of the factory has sustainably improved the waste concept of the entire region.
- The FSC label helps to spread sustainable forest management throughout the region.
- The project makes use of the latest technologies, such as by installing a plasma catalytic filter, which cleans the gaseous emissions of the factory. The environmental impact of formaldehyde (a pollutant found in binding agents, for example) has also been minimised.
- The ecological production method is rounded off by a closed water circuit in production, combined with a modern waste water treatment plant.”
Swiss Climate AG